Friday, April 08, 2005

Lets be a bit emotional here...

Ever had that sure feeling that everything happens for a reason? Everything has purpose. We get hurt so that we learn to appreciate others. We feel being in the dark in order to realize the light. We get lost in order to find the way back home.

I was about 12 when the World Youth Day was held in the country. The late Pope John Paul II visited the Philippines. I was with my family and with our neighbor. I don’t remember much but I remember going to Luneta early in the morning and seeing a lot of people awake and scurrying to find a perfect spot. The sun wasn’t out yet, but the place was already filled.

The celebration pushed through without me seeing the pope. I don’t remember what happened though. Afterwards, we made our way back to our car. I stayed behind with my brother and my neighbor Jal. They were looking at stuff sold by side street vendors. I think he was selling some toys or memorabilia’s. But boys will be boys. They didn’t like the idea I was hanging out with them, so they ran back to the car leaving me behind not knowing my way around. I was 12, in Luneta Park, with lots of people around. Of course as you would imagine, I got lost.

I walked around. I asked a policeman who didn’t help at all. I didn’t cry but I was about to when people started yelling and lining up on the sidewalk. And there he was in his pope mobile. He was waving at the people, and we were waving back. I prayed at that moment for him to see me and ask help in finding my way back. At the same instance, he looked towards me. Seriously. Eye to eye. And he smiled. At me! That was the closest encounter I had with our dear departed pope. An instance. But a moment to last me my lifetime.

Feeling all nice and giddy inside I turned around to a parking lot. And on my right was my car. I ran and went inside with a smile on my face all excited. I was 12. They said they were looking for me. I didn’t tell them I got lost. I simply told them I was walking around and waved at the pope and that he waved back.

You see, I wouldn’t have had that experience if I hadn’t gotten lost in the first place. And yet, I wouldn’t have seen my way back on my own if I hadn’t gotten lost. Things happen for a greater reason. Bigger than any of us.

***
I will miss the pope. I heard about his death while we were in Hongkong. I cried in the hotel room while the news relayed the story of what had happened. He was OUR pope. OUR generation’s pope. And he helped me find my way back when I was lost.
“In his last hours he looked through the window of the Vatican to see the people. Now, he will be looking through the window of our Father…”



- Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like it's your last.

2 Comments:

Blogger Nate said...

aww shali! that's a really nice story about the pope you wrote there. i may not be catholic, but i share in your loss of a great leader, a good and humble man, and most importantly, a great human being. my condolences. rest assured that he is happy where he is now.

12:32 AM  
Blogger Jinx! said...

I agree! I like the way you srote this story. vEry touching and inspirational. Naks!

6:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Watchu think?

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home