Monday, September 19, 2011

I was about to sleep when the thought of meat pies popped in my head (yes, i dream about food.) Then I remembered Melbourne...
~~~
Hidden in the alleyways of Melbourne is this quaint store called Dinkum Pies. A pinoy can liken it to the local Turo-Turo; You simply point at what you want and they give it to you.
My parents and I got lost walking around the city and passed by this alley filled with local establishments. Needless to say, Dinkum wasn't the most savory of them.
It looked old... run-down. In some way it looked dirty and dubious. In fact, my parents and I just ignored it thinking it was no good. But fate had another plan. My dad insisted on trying out the local pies. It was 'innately' Melbourne. Hungry as we were, we went to the nearest pie store we knew-- Dinkum Pies.
As we got in line we looked around at all the little knick- knacks they had inside. They had a lot of vintage stuff which looked more "old" than they did "vintage". The place looked unorganized but lo and behold, a pinay was present behind the counter. My mom immediately started a conversation.
"Masarap ba dito?" asked my mom.
"Ay, opo! Eto po yung paborito ng mga Australyano!"
My dad was too hungry to listen while I ADD'd by looking at what people ordered. Then I saw it. A sign.
Literally. It was a sign that was posted on the glass wall of Dinkum Pies. On a white bond paper, they printed the words "THE AGE Best pie in Melbourne 2010".


~~~
My parents and I ended up eating at one of Melbourne's best local pie place. Something you won't see shared in tourist brochures. We ended up going there every chance we we're in the city. It was real, warm, comfort food during winter in Australia.
That place was really something. There was something about the whole experience of eating your meal as a pie accompanied by this cleverly packaged tomato sauce. It was my Dayrit's away from home. My comfort- food-guilty-pleasure-childhood-memory-kind-of- fun in Australia. And I do miss it terribly.
http://jdereport.com.au/john-elliott%E2%80%99s-melbourne-fair-dinkum-aussie-pies/
http://lanewaymagazine.com.au/best-pie-melbourne/

- Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like it's your last.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Watchu think?

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home