Sunday, October 02, 2011

I often wondered how marriage will look like... say, 40 or 50 years after. Will it still have that spark, or semblance of romance as you look at each others wrinkley face? Will one look at the other in awe and still be able to say "i love you more now than the first time we met"?

Every Sunday, in mass, I always see this old couple together. I mean ancient old. It's obvious that the woman is younger than her husband. He can hardly sit-up straight and has a surgical mask on every time. They have a nurse that sits behind them too. The woman is pretty much active in mass-- kneeling, praying, reading. But in between verses and prayers she tends to her husband. She fixes his shirt, holds his hands while she prays and even whispers to him if he's 'ok'. There's so much devotion in her eyes and love as they clasp their hands together.

It saddens me though to see how frailer the old man gets every week. Like I said, I see this old couple every Sunday. A few weeks back, he still could stand up (assisted by the woman). Now, he could hardly sit upright. I saw his nurse hold his shoulders at one point. It looked as if he dozed off for a while. Phew.

"How devastating...", I thought. Imagine choosing to love someone for that long and then... So fragile. One can only imagine what could happen in the next weeks. I dread the day I see the woman alone in mass.

But that got me thinking, 'How lucky still'. To have actually met that person you can spend the rest of your life with. I've heard all the vows in all of my friends weddings but I never really quite understood "til death do us part" until I saw that old couple again today. Still very much in love as the first time I saw them in church.

I pray I can be so lucky.

- Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like it's your last.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Watchu think?

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home