Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Thoughts on getting hitched

Having a raspy voice doesn’t seem to stop me from talking. It’s not like I can’t NOT talk, but when I’m with a group of people I can’t bear silence.
I had the flu Thursday and by Friday I couldn’t go to school (Dad’s orders). That Saturday morning we had to made our way back to Pangasinan to visit our late grandfather apart from celebrating my uncle’s wedding-- again. Not that I’m complaining. The travel was difficult in most part. Having to sit in the car for 5 hours with the blaring sun is no easy ride. But coming back is by far the best way to run away from everything—school, the noise, school… Plus of course the food.
In spite of my voice, I still chatted with my relatives. Chatting would include drinks of course.
There were a lot of insights regarding marriage courtesy of my brother. My aunts and uncles shared their thoughts about it. One of my aunts recently got divorced and her story made me more cautious for the future. She lived with her ex-husband for three years before getting married with him. She even left her job and her family just to be with him. She gave everything up. But after all that, of love and maybe bliss, getting married actually changed everything. She mentions a huge shift after they actually got married especially having their first and only child. After all her sacrifices, she’s left now with an ex-husband whose relatives think she did something wrong. The details are of no importance but the question that remains is “how would you know you’re making the right decision?”
Marriage is the ultimate choice one would have to make in life. It’s choosing a partner to spend the rest of your entire life with. You’re bound—legally and in the face of God. I’m not expecting marriage to be perfect. I know couples fight, but how sure are you that you can take each other’s faults for the rest of your lives? Communication, she says, is key to a good marriage. Cliché.
Claire and I talked about it before. It seems such a difficult thing to live up to your parents, of their marriage. I still see my parents hold hands while walking. They do other sweet stuff in front of me and my brother which I find disgusting but at the back of my mind I long to be in that situation too in the future.
It’s a huge step. A big leap. Maybe marriage shouldn’t just be that of trust. Maybe marriage should be based more on faith. Faith that both of you will love each other and not just because you love that person even with their flaws, but love them despite of it. Again, cliché.
- Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like it's your last.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Watchu think?

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home