Monday, October 11, 2004

Wednesday i'll be fine...- Sting

It’s the first day of finals week, hopefully my last finals of a 1st semester! I just finished my first exam, Philosophy orals. Not that I have any complaints on it, but having it in Filipino seems harder than it looks. I was faced with not only one teacher but two other teaching assistants who I think are the most scariest TA’s ever! I felt like being in American idol. Dr. Ibana, my professor would be Paula Abdul, the other thin guy as the black man (sorry, don’t know him), and of course Camillo, our very own version of the relentless you-love-to-hate Simon.

I was in the departments chair’s office (which would be Dr. Ibana’s) seated in a round table with the great minds of the Philo dept.. My heart was racing. It was nothing I have ever experienced before. I have been taking philosophy, as well as theology since 3rd year college, and each semester the same thing at the end—oral exams. But this time it was different. I was faced with 3 audiences. It takes more than guts to go in that room. Those people who are willing to commit suicide and face death were probably the only ones who could come in and honestly say they are not afraid. For me, it took strong amounts of insanity to jump in. There they were seated around the table, waiting to devour me. They asked the 2nd thesis statement;

“Likas na mabuti ang tao; subalit aktibong pinipili ang pagpapakabuti. Nagiging maladiyos and nagpapakamakadiyos”
It was one of the easiest thesis. I tried as much as I could to explain it. Phrase by phrase I explained it. My voice cracked under the pressure. It was like having a frog stuck in your throat. After a while they asked questions. I looked at Dr. Ibana, with his thick glasses that made his eyes look goofy. Next were the assistants. They seemed to enjoy the moment of power. Who wouldn’t? In the middle of all the excitement, I fumbled by forgetting what “assess” is in Filipino. I excused myself and apologized. I saw the creepy thin man chuckle while looking at Camillo. I wanted to jump over the table and strangle him. Doc asked more questions after that, but on the side I saw the assistants fooling around and giggling like little schoolgirls. I think Camillo’s gay… But that’s beside the point. After 15 minutes the school bell rang. It was already 2:30 p.m., the end of my orals. At the end, they told me it was very good, better than my written exams. No shit! That was better. My exams composed of my first ever D in philo and a C+/B, and the last paper that they haven’t given back to me. I understood what the lesson was. At least they said it was a good oral exam. Given that words like “ay”, “parang” (which I said a couple of times), and “kunyari” were not allowed, I hacked it, hacked it pretty well I should say. How’s that for nagmemeron?

Though my finals doesn’t end until Thursday, Sting is playing but it is true that Wednesday would be fine, because come Thursday ill be free!!!
- Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like it's your last.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Watchu think?

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home