Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Komik kon

Last saturday was my first comic convention. It was held in Bahay ng Alumni in UP. Ian was launching his first comic book ULTRACOPS under Budjette Tan's Alamat comics. I was there for support.

Ian had always tried to teach me all the terms i needed to know to understand "his world" aka the geekdom. The day before the convention, i confessed to him that i was afraid to go... it seemed like i had to review for a final exam. When i shared this with Budjette... he actually asked questions...

Do you remember Spongebob's chant on the way to Krusty Krabs? "I'm ready! I'm ready!..." That saturday i was singing "I'm going to my fi-irst comic con..." It was a mix of excitement and fear. Ian instilled in my head the image of the convention being filled with geeks. "What if i say something wrong? They might think im such a dummy and throw me out!". Ian pacified me by saying "It's ok b, just consult me first before saying anything...." Geez.

When we got there, we saw Budjette swarmed with fans clamming for his signature. After which Budjette would give them their change... Artist and accountant? A surge of oc-ness cam over me. I volunteered to be their cashier... or as Ka-jo would call it "ang kahera".

During my short-stint to pass as a geek i met Gerry, Leinil, Carlo, Edgar and all the who's who in the Philippine comic industry. Yes, i have to admit that i got star struck.

But of course my true color emerged. While going around with ian we saw posters done by other local artists. One of which looked familiar:

Shali: Hey, this reminds me of the old wizard in Battle Crashers...
Ian: Huh? oh yeah... wait, what did you say?!
Shali: Which one? Battle Cra-shers?
Ian: Baby... It's Battle Chasers...
Shali: Oh no! I hope no one heard me... Let's go na...

Over all i had so much fun. It was nice to hear praises from complete strangers about your boyfriends work. I mean, it was my quality time with my boyfriend that got sacrificed too you know.

Post event
Monday at work, i was still hung up on my first stint in the convention. I told my collegues about it and they all just seemed to laugh at the idea that i was there. What was more surprising though was what the convention gave me-- the geek cooties.

During lunch with Jason last monday... We were talking about my first ever comic con> and we ended up talking about filipino comics and artists...

Jason: oo nga eh... there's this Filipino character already in Marvel.
Pinoy yung gumawa tapos pinoy rin yung character niya...
hmmm what's this character again...???
Shali: Bishop?
Jason: Yun!!!

YB after lunch

Jason: so you know about transformers too? what's the greeting?
Shali: Ba-wip- granawip-nini-bon
My favorite's Grimlock... Me-like-grimlock!hahahahaha
Jason: Yes, you are a geek... i'll give you a copy of the geek manifesto
from the house....Ian would probably have it too...

After sharing this with Budjette, he christened me as a Geekette. Ian is so proud.


- Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like it's your last.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

heehee... geekette!!! :)

since jude isn't so much into local comics, i can vouch for being a fellow geekette for transformers...

and other geeky stuff too... i've become a Trekkie, a good match for a MAGIC game, hero clicks, but no -- x-box just happens sometimes. :)

hehehe... glad i found you too, fellow bloggie. :)

2:37 PM  
Blogger AveragePsycho said...

hey mom!
hmmm you found me in multiply and you find me in blogspot? someone's petiks today! =)
im glad you did! Magic game? i still dont get it...

7:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Watchu think?

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home