Friday, November 12, 2004

Shali's Notes

I wrote this at the back of my history handout when I got stuck in Katipunan yesterday. November 11, 2003.

I’m staying in Katipunan Starbucks while I’m waiting for my brother. Thinking I could smoke outside, I found the place packed with few tables free inside. I simply assumed a higher power refused to see me smoke again. I concurred and made my way to a free table inside. I thought I could sit and read my history handout quietly, but the coffee place suddenly became your usual fastfood scenario. (only this had couches) NOISE. Unbelievable noise. Noise, which are coming from the 3 shrieking girls behind me on the couch. Adults, in front of me laughing heartily, and 3 other girls and a guy on my 10 o’clock, stomping their feet out of laughter. I could rarely hear the music playing. I think they’re currently playing “Puff the Magic Dragon”, but I doubt if anyone else notices. Shit. I could use a smoke. Others in Starbucks are alone, like me, enjoying their coffee.
It’s still raining in Katipunan. This morning, on my way to school it looked as if it was late in the afternoon. It was only past 10 in the morning and it seemed like the sun was already about to set. But it was just the beginning of my day.
It’s starting to tone down now, probably because I’m just drowning the noise out in my head. It always happens when I’m writing (or reading), I hear only my voice talking inside my head. Hey, I just found out what to write for my PR class! The question goes “What is cool for you?” For me, it’s writing. Being able to share ideas with strangers. When it comes to paper my height becomes obsolete and my voice suddenly becomes louder. Guess its a compensation. Aaaaah, finally, the shrieking girls behind me left. The adults left earlier. It’s only 5:20 p.m. and I’m waiting for my brother to pick me up at 6.
I remember what Sir Sev mentioned yesterday in our PR class. He said when you go to a restaurant or café, you usually see women in a table having a civilized conversation. He admires women that way. He also said that when men meet, there has to be props (beer, bands, and on occasion—dancers) for them to converse. Other than that is just pure awkwardness. Men don’t share secrets you see. All they share are CONQUESTS (as said by Sir Sev) and never faults or mistakes.
Oh shit, I thought the girls at my 10 o’clock left, turns out they just moved to the couches behind me.
It’s so cold. I forgot my jacket today.
It’s starting to tone down mainly because people are leaving. It’s not as noisy like it was a while ago.
Hmm… I’m writing and I’m alone. A friend once told me that when you’re alone at a restaurant or café, it’s either you bring a good book because it means you’re sulking up culture, or you bring a pen and a pad and write so people would think you’re a critic. I’d like to be thought of as a writer, immortalizing anyone and everything I see.
Oh God! What are they playing now? It sounds like ABBA meets country… the agony…

I had to use my free stub for customizing your drink. I bought a café mocha with caramel syrup and it smells good! No passion hot tea for me today… I actually remember ordering one time at Starbucks and I asked for “hot passion tea with raspberry”... hot passion would certainly get you more than tea this way so I always ask for “passion hot tea” now.
I’m guessing I’m not the only writer in this place. There’s another girl at the end of the room, writing. She pauses and looks around, then writes again. I wonder if I look like that. She seems so serious, and all I do is rant about people. Hehe.
Hey! They’re playing the “Lion Sleeps Tonight”.
It’s so cold. My fingers are starting to go numb. Coffee ain’t working y’all! Now I’m craving for Yellow Cab plain cheese pizza with lots of dried chilis… ummm… pizza…
This is already my second page. That’s it! I’m stopping. ‘Till next.

Just so everyone knows, I got picked up at 7:30. I hung out with my friends since my brother got stuck in the office. No biggie! I had Yellow Cab pizza for my lunch! Woohoo! I can hear myself get fat.
- Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like it's your last.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Watchu think?

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home