Sunday, November 06, 2005

Lost youth?

Youth. Where art thou?

I had a visit from two of my closest friends. I asked Jinky to pass by tonight since we haven’t seen each other for so long. In the middle of our conversation, Bong dropped by. This triggered series of conversations—life, past, present and future.

I welcomed Jinky with such eagerness when I noticed the bandage around her knee. Was there something wrong? She tells me about her recent trip back to surgery where the doctors cleaned her old injury.

We started talking about how our lives were going. She told me about her thesis whereas I told her about work. Her stories seemed much more inspiring.

A car then parks across my house. It was Bong. It was an unexpected visit. As it turns out, he texted while I was talking to Jinky (left my phone inside the house kasi).

The three of us conversed and relayed our stories. Jinky: her thesis, Yogi and her knee. Bong: his life now as a dad, his plans, Patty’s pregnancy (which I think is all under “his life now as a dad). I on the other hand spoke about work. Contemplating if this is really for me. Asking if I was too young to start working cause it feels like I’m still a kid who still needs some time off to grow up and have direction… Out of the three it seemed as though I was on the losing end.

“Quit!” they said. It’s seems so easy. I really don’t want to quit. I just found it unfair sometimes at work. But then who said life was ever easy right? Then I started plotting out a plan my dad suggested. “Give it a year” he said. And when I thought it through, it seemed logical. After a year, if God permits it, I’d be a regular employee. If I apply for another company I’m guessing the pay would be better. Hopefully. All of these are still in theory. But then it took only one person to bring me down. Is it worth leaving a great company? I’m glad we had a reorganization. I’m glad I’m going to a “better” team.

After venting out my frustration… and slowly clearing my mind for tomorrow’s work, I again realize how important my friends are. I’m not talking about the ones that you meet along the way, these are friends that have grown up with you, the ones that shared heartaches, pains, laughter and joy all these years. At that moment, I was so grateful for them being here for me, for each other. I’m glad that there are some things in life that doesn’t change. Sort of a reminder on how simple and easy life should really be.


- Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like it's your last.

3 Comments:

Blogger AveragePsycho said...

Yes, i agree with you on two notes-- 1. that i will stay for a full year, and 2. I need a tan desperately (not Joyce Tan).
Getting into an ad agency is more than just being divirginized. Here, it's more raped than being brought to the bed by a lover. The next day you're deemed as a slut in the industry. Harsh as it may seem, (though i admit i'm exaggerating) it doesn't veer far away from the truth.
Why do you think you think people transfer agency after two years max? People get apathetic or easily irritated in time in the industry trying to please the same people everyday. Pay gets bigger once you cater to others because of "experience". Following the analogy, the ad agency becomes your pimp.
Why do you think agencies get fresh grads? Not only are they cheaper, but they're also easy to manipulate...molded into the perfect hoar for their purpose.
It's a cruel world Yogi. Let's not sugar coat it...

2:51 PM  
Blogger AveragePsycho said...

There are three things keeping me sane about my job: 1. hanging out with creatives in the agency (not to mention im involved with one of them) 2. was recently transferred to another group (which, i must say, is more fun and lax than the last i had) and 3. you guys are always there (pweh with the mushiness!)

Thanks for the concern though. Yeah, i'm in accounts but no matter what type of department or work you're in you shouldn't be too serious about it. Bottomline? It's still just work, not the end of the world.

Not too sure about keeping silent though. When you've got too much on your mind (deadlines, presentation, etc) having silence is the last thing you need. Silence is defeaning. What you need are distractions... fun distractions. Something to clear your mind with. Para good vibes all the way! :)

5:51 PM  
Blogger AveragePsycho said...

sure ba!i already have ten summoner's album though...if you have others even better! :)

Thanks yogi!i'll try that mantra thing...i heard it also does wonders in... uhum... other aspects of life...ahehe

7:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Watchu think?

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home