Sunday, December 26, 2010

Family.

About a month ago my dad bought those lights that come in a tube/hose. If my special christmas decoration for the house was the Christmas crane tree, his were the lights in front of our house. He wanted to spell out "Merry Christmas" with the hose lights. And he did, successfully. Being thrifty as he is, he told my mom "I will open it near Christmas day... para tipid sa kuryente...". Then the day came. Unfortunately, "Merry Christmas" was just "Merry Ch". Baffled, he took down his design, scratched his head and chuckled as my mom gave him 'the look'. Needless to say, he had to work around the problem. We ended with lining up the gate with "christmas balls".

~~~

Mom loves to cook and bake. She also loves the praises that comes after eating her dish. Last night, last minute, she decides to bake some bibingka. She got it from one of those Nestle classes she's been attending at Rockwell. My tita and my cousins were going to have dinner at our house so while I was busy preparing for that, she baked away. I left her in the kitchen. She was pacing back and forth from the table to the mixer to the oven. (You wouldn't want to be in the line of fire.) An hour after my tita and my cousins arrived and her bibingka was ready. Though it tasted good, it didn't look like bibingka except for the banana leaf wrapped around it and the egg on top of it. She apologized for how it looked but we all said "No, it's great! Don't worry about..." Nyeeeaah... we all still finished it.

~~~

This is the great thing about family. Growing up you'll try to pinpoint all the bad stuff you don't like about your family, and then you hear yourself say "I hate you" (because they didn't let you out of the house). But as you get older you tend to appreciate them more, even when "unfortunate" things happen. It's what makes them special, I think. Their little mistakes. Little imperfections that make them uniquely yours. Despite all the unfortunate events, we're still there for each other. They say you can choose your friends but you can't choose family. I'm so glad I have what I have.

- Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like it's your last.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Watchu think?

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home